Please read Worse is Better, and answer following questions. Maybe you’re not familar with LISP, don’t be afraid, just finish the artical and try to get the main idea. Be critical to anything you are reading, since the artical is written more than 20 years ago, the environment has changed a lot since then. No worship.
- How to explain the idea to one of your friends whose major is not computer/software?
- Which contexts does “wore is better” suitable for? Which contexts doesn’t ? Please give at least two cases for each situation.
- Please describe one of your own projects, and think whether “worse is better” is suitable for it.
- Please raise your own questions or thoughts that you’d like to discuss.
Question1：How to explain the idea to one of your friends whose major is not computer software?
- Once when talking about how to develop better software， there were probably two kinds of ways which refered to MIT approach and New Jersey approach. And based on his own experience, the author thought that the later one might be a better choice, which we also called “Worse is better”. The reason was that it could save much time in developing because it considered implementation simplicity important; and it can work both well in small machines and large ones; finally it tended to gain acceptance first due to people’s recognition to the “worse software” rather than “the right things”
Question2:Which contexts does “wore is better” suitable for? Which contexts doesn’t ? Please give at least two cases for each situation.
- “Worse is better” is suitable for the conditon like that if you want your software quickly occupy the market or if you want your software can be widespread userd. The example are Unix/C and XMLRPC. However, it is not suitable for that if your sotfware needs to be totally strong and complete which means that you cannot just emphasis on its simlpicity of use and implementation.The examle are firewall and bank security software.
Question3:Please describe one of your own projects, and think whether “worse is better” is suitable for it.
- My summer vocation homwork is to design and implement an automatic car app named “Autoer”, i firstly managered three iteration plan, in my first plan, i focused on the main fundamental functions i needed to implement. So after the first period, i could probably use the app for most situations. Then in the second and third plan, i turned to dig more potential demands to fullfill my project.
Question4:Please raise your own questions or thoughts that you’d like to discuss.
- 1.Nowadays what popular opinions exccept these two mentioned above do we use in developing softwares ?
- 2.How can we handle the problem caused by the “WIB” software such as lacking functions and poor quality?
- 3.Is today’s technology somewhat blur the boundaries between these two concepts?